Thursday, December 1, 2016

the Air Force 1 by Nike still rules as an impeccable design


I have always loved the look of this shoe. Nike came out with it in 1982. I was 12 (you do the math). I never owned a new original pair but bought a used pair of size 11 1/2 off of a friend (I wore a 10). They were a bit to expensive for a sixth grader. My love of their look has never faded. EVER! I have found that I am not alone with this belief/disorder. To show my love of the shoe and also my love of certain artists/illustrators, I set out to draw a serious doodled right shoe that drops in hints of illustrators that have influenced me.



Many of the marks are just whimsical ideas that happened as chance. As illustrators, cartoonists, or artists jumped into my head, I carved out a place to fit 'em in.



My owl from a graduate school poster project.





The whale squashed into the darkened sole was just a drawing of a whale. No influences. Just thought it would fit in the space.



Sorry about the image quality. Hope it doesn't detract from the time spent drawing this up. Sure was fun to stare at an Air Force 1 for hours at a time.

Sharpie on thick railroad board.

1 comment:

  1. this had a typo for quite a long time...i really struggle with spelling...thought i checked it....but....well.....

    ReplyDelete