Thursday, January 16, 2014

a few of the latest concept drawings for Terrayn


Eldric's Castle 

I have been asked to create four characters for Terrayn (see previous post for Eldric sketches). I was given names and a few vague descriptive words concerning body shape, hair and skin tone. Along with that task, I was to design where they live as well. I know very little about medieval times (even though the game is not "medieval" at its core but has taken on a feeling of such a time) and making quality drawings when ones information base is limited is mighty difficult. I chose to only glance at online images and one or two books that were lent to me. My goal has been to create not copy. I want the drawings to be fresh and nontraditional. I also can't be so "far out" that is futuristic in look and feel. I am attempting to find the right mix.

The best part of my role in the design is that there really isn't much reigning me in. The team has allowed me to go wherever my mind takes me. Not knowing a whole lot about this general theme has worked in my favor.  I want the hype of the game to be in the landscape (thus the title Terrayn!) and how you manipulate that, not some super fancy outfit or wild structure. This is going to be a game of substance and amazing interactions between the player and the world. A bunch of architectural fluff dotting the land won't really enhance the playing experience as much as what you can do. It may even distract. The items i draw will have form as an important element but will stress function as a major priority. 



Random weapons

More to come.......

No comments:

Post a Comment